Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Not a review of Transformers

Since this is not a negative blog, I won’t review the movie Transformers: Age of Extinction. I’ll just say that people are a lot more forgiving of a plot inconsistency than they are of inconsistencies in characters.

To my surprise, I recognized a bridge in Chicago that the humans jump off of to board an alien ship. Worldcon 2012 was held there, and the bridge was near the hotel. This bas relief was at one end of the bridge, though the movie did not show it.



I had a chance to take the picture with the sun shining directly on it, but I realized anyone could do that. I waited until early next morning, when the sunlight at an angle would show the depth of the sculpture.

The reason I recognized the bridge so easily (including the part that was just a grating underfoot) was I spent some time on it, trying to get the best picture of the Chicago River. To get the scale of the buildings, I waited until a ferry was in view.



Also, a character in the movie approached Anish Kapoor’s “The Bean” from the same angle I did. You can see pictures of it at my Worldcon post.


So I definitely enjoyed that part of the movie. 

5 comments:

  1. Nice photos! Sorry the movie wasn't too good~ I've heard from other people who have issues with it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool to see shots of a town you know well in a movie. My sister lives in Chicago so I'm all too familiar with the bean. I also took that architectural tour of downtown Chicago by boat once when we visited. It was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the compliment, Jessica. Stephanie, The bean even had the same reflections of tall buildings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures!
    I didn't hear great things about this movie so I'm not surprised you didn't review it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Mina. Anyway, I have some nice books to review.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...