Monday, September 3, 2012

Worldcon 2012 Part 0 – Chicago


Worldcon, the world’s largest science fiction convention, was held in Chicago this year.  The convention hadn’t started yet, so I did some sightseeing on Wednesday.  This bas relief was just outside my hotel: 


I don’t normally see art like this casually on display. 

Further on, their Magnificent Mile featured Anish Kapoor’s Cloud Gate sculpture, often nicknamed “The Bean.” 


The Cloud Gate was featured in the movie Source Code, and you can see my review here.  Notice how the buildings are clearly reflected in the surface: 


People can easily walk beneath its curved surface: 


Beneath the center of it, the reflection seems much farther away than it really is. 


I became nervous there, because loud street noises reflected around inside. 

On the other side of the Chicago River is the NBC tower: 


I had spotted the peacock while walking from my hotel, and you can barely see it at the top of the picture. 

So here’s the Chicago River itself, looking towards downtown: 


My next entry will be on the convention itself.  

2 comments:

  1. Oh,wow. That statue is amazing. I can see why they call it the bean! And you're going to Worldcon! I'm not in the least bit jealous. Noooo.

    I can't wait to read all about your time there. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Awesome pictures! A friend of mine's aunt was there. She's a SF writer either as Rebecca Williamson or Sue Star. (She has pen names.)

    Sounds like fun! <3

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...