Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Finished my Manuscript

On Saturday, I finished writing my novel manuscript, and I can now reveal the title:  The War of the Worlds and Fairies
Instead of a simple mashup, it's a true reimagining of H.G. Wells’ The War of the Worlds with over 95% of it my own original writing. The manuscript is 400 pages long, so it would be about 330 pages if it was printed up in a typical paperback fashion. 

The story is set in 1898, the same year as Well’s original, and it’s told from the point of view of Ashley, a fairy who has grown to human size.  In the following scene, she and her friend Violet are preparing to go see a large cylinder that has landed from Mars. 


Violet and I helped each other dress for our outing to see the men from space.  She chose a rather unorthodox riding habit which she laid out on the bed, including a severe jacket and matching top hat. 
I finished lacing her boots.  Although neither of us used corsets, we put the boots on before our petticoats—corseted women cannot bend down to pull them on, and we simply followed the order of dressing we had been taught.  I stood and pointed at her outfit.  “You’ve never ridden a horse in your life.”  
“You must admit, riding a butterfly naked is easier.”  She inspected my sensible blouse and skirt, then bent down and started on my boot laces.  “Ashley, why don’t you wear that bicycling outfit your husband bought you?” 
“Because I’m not going bicycling.  See the benefit of a logical mind?”  We were only talking this way to calm our flighty nerves.  When we finished dressing, we held each other. 
Violet’s scared whisper brushed against my ear.  “You were right.  Each flash of light was like a gun shot, aimed at us.” 
I replied.  “Your intuition was right.  Imagine men on Mars staring at us through telescopes, looking for a place to land their spacefaring ships.” 
     When Violet stopped shaking, we set out.  




4 comments:

Connie Keller said...

Congratulations on finishing your novel!

Carrie Butler said...

Congratulations, Mark! :)

Tiana Smith said...

Congratulations! It's such an accomplishment to finish a novel :)

Mark Murata said...

Thank you for your kind words.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...