Friday, July 14, 2023

Dream of Short Stories

I dreamt that I was at a convention with a workshop on writing, similar to Norwescon or Worldcon. The woman leading the workshop emphasized everything that needs to go into a novel. I had with me a manuscript for a long novel (for a beginner). It was written in four parts. As the woman continued to speak, I realized that what I had was actually four short stories, not a novel.


I had a meeting set for Wednesday, when a number of us could present our manuscripts for a professional to look at it. This would be a prime opportunity. But since what I had was not really a novel, I knew it would not work out. I cancelled my part in the meeting.


When I woke up, I knew the manuscript I had with me in the dream was for a science fiction novel I had written, with main character Ensign Tica Manus. What I had dreamt was true: This was not a novel, but four short stories. (They are actually more like novellas or novelettes.) I will polish them up and submit them to magazines.


In the nineteenth century, the German organic chemist Friedrich August Kekule tried to puzzle out the structure of the benzene molecule. He came up with a circular model of self-linking carbon atoms. His work revolutionized organic chemistry. In a famous speech, Kekule said he came up with the idea after having a daydream of a snake seizing its tale.


image by Français


Paul McCartney composed the song “Yesterday” in a dream. I have heard more than one version of this story. In one version, he rushed to write it down. In the other, he had the song going through his head for much of the day, not recognizing it. He finally realized he had composed it in a dream, then wrote it down.


photo by Mono Macca


It’s a pity such dreams cannot happen on demand. Have you had any such dreams, whether on solving a problem or creating new art?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...