Saturday, November 13, 2021

Your 3G Will Be Dead as a …

I spent much of my Saturday morning trying to figure out if my current smartphone will work in 2022. As I hope you know already, 3G is going away in 2022. The exact date depends on your carrier. This is to make room for the exalted, brand new 5G, which will do everything except wash your feet for you. So your 3g phones and some of your 4G phones will be dead as a dodo.

public domain

There’s a reason we don’t have any photographs of them

I have an old Galaxy phone. Is it the S7, S8, or S9? No, those were top Galaxy phones for their time. I don’t need all the nice features, so I bought a bottom level J7. Never heard of it? Exactly.

So I assumed it was a 3G phone. I spent some time trying to find cheap 4G phones, but they tend to be used, or ever worse, refurbished. Then a very good article clued me in that if the phone has LTE in the upper right corner of the screen, it will be okay for 2022. Sure enough, my phone has those letters. After some triple checking of this, I found out my phone is 4G LTE. It’s safe.

All this did not leave me in the mood for writing. But as we find out in Dune, mood should not matter. For copyright reasons I won’t post a link here, but look up the words “dune shield practice” in some video sharing site, and see the lesson there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...