Saturday, May 15, 2021

Terry Brooks and Cliffhanger Endings

Several years ago, I attended a writers’ workshop by the great Terry Brooks. As an aside, do you know he pronounces Shannara with a short a at the start, instead of an a like in father? It shocked a lot of people. But I digress.

He stressed that every chapter should end with a cliffhanger ending. “No exceptions,” he said. As a young aspiring writer, I thought that sounded cliché. Now that I’m an older aspiring writer, I see the wisdom of it. Which brings me to the manuscript I’m about to send out.

This picture I took was from much later
Not perfectly focused, I know

So this is from my War of the Wars reimagined. It you’re reading this from a home computer, you can find links to excerpts in the column on the right, or if you’re reading this from a smartphone, you can scroll down to the tiny words that say “View web version” and see that column. My working title will be Fairy War. Here is the cliffhanger ending for a chapter:

 #

My senses were overwhelmed as I lay there, head lolling on hard wood, and I could not differentiate between the steam and smoke obscuring my vision when I blacked out.

#

How’d I do?

2 comments:

  1. That's definitely a cliffhanger. That must have been a great workshop. It sounds like you got a lot out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. He also said to always keep a notebook with you, in case you see something interesting in everyday life that would be interesting to add to a story.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...