Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Playlist

A lot of writers will start a blog entry with something like: What’s on my Playlist. They will then state a piece of music they were listening to while writing. The problem is I don’t listen to pop music that much . If I listen to music while writing, it will probably be a soundtrack from a movie.

If I do get published and become popular, the production company of the movie or the screenwriter might then accuse me of getting plot elements or characters from their movie. No, I haven’t heard of this happening, but considering the lack of originality in Hollywood, I wouldn’t be surprised.

photo by Richard Yaussi

So for now, I’ll simply list the composer whose music I was listening to. This past weekend, it was music by Hans Zimmer as I revised one of my Athena stories.

The passage below wasn’t what I revised, but a previous blog entry showed it to be popular.

#

“A family.” Athena was disgusted. “They killed a family.”
Perseus gestured at the other figures. “Athena, all these are facing away from the Gorgons.”
“As if fleeing.” She thought deeply. “They do not turn to stone instantly. This man was carrying the child as they fled. The Gorgons do something to them to start the process of hardening, then the victims try to get away.”
“‘Start the process.’ You mean something different from just their ugliness?”
“No matter what, use the reflection in the shield to look at them. I’m not sure what is happening. My thoughts on this are incomplete.”
“My mother once told me of a man who was bitten by a snake, and he became stiff, as if made of wood—”  
“Did you go deaf?” Athena was angry about the dead family, angry about secrets held by her fellow immortals, and angry about her inability to control this young man. “Do not ponder your way into doing something unsafe. I didn’t pluck you off the island of Samos so you could think your way into trouble, instead of listening to wisdom!”
“You didn’t choose a man who was deaf, or unable to think. I can do both.” His cheeks tightened with his own anger. “Why can’t I listen to your wisdom as you talk out loud, and we both begin to draw the same conclusion?”
“Because we’re approaching danger, that’s why.”
“Oh, is that why I brought this weapon? I thought we were approaching some paved fountain in the desert with little children skipping around.”

3 comments:

Morgan said...

Love the writing, Mark. And I've never done a playlist! I've never been able to *truly* write to music. :)

Mark Murata said...

Everyone is different. Some prefer silence. Since I live in a condo, I prefer to choose my own noise rather than hear everyone else's.

Melliane said...

interesting passage. I confess that I don't really look at the author playlist when they're written. Plus they usually new so it's difficult to imagine more.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...